- This course has passed.
Money Matters Finance Series
March 18 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm PDT
Have you made any financial goals for 2020? Our Money Matters series can help you achieve them!
Lesson 1: Introduction and Spending (January 15)
In this lesson, we address several important financial issues:
– Earning, Borrowing, Spending, and Keeping: the Four Pillars of Financial Literacy
– Wealth vs. Income: Who is rich?
– Spending & Budgeting
– The Psychology of spending: Marketing from the consumers’ perspective
Lesson 2: Borrowing and Compound Interest (February 19)
Since we must borrow money, we had better understand how borrowing and banking work! Most people borrow, understanding the process helps you protect yourself against predatory lending practices.
– Compound Interest: The eighth wonder of the world
– Understanding the banking system
– Your Credit Rating and why it is important
– Fifty Shades of Debt
Lesson 3: Taxes, Shelters, and Basic Investments (March 18)
It’s one thing to earn money…it’s another to keep money. Whether you are building for the future, or just looking to understand taxes and investments, it’s important to understand saving and investing (keeping money) from a tax perspective:
– Different Taxes in Canada & British Columbia
– Progressive Income Tax and Tax Brackets
– TFSAs and RRSPs
– The basics of Stocks and Bonds
Lesson 4: Investing the money you keep (April 15)
This lesson takes over from lesson three and adds to your investment knowledge. Topics include:
– Mutual Funds and Exchange Traded Funds
– Real Estate Investing
– The effects of currency fluctuations
– A few ‘exotic’ investments (Just so you know what to avoid!)