- This course has passed.
Fish & Fish Habitat Inventory Methods (FFHIM) 5-Days
June 11 - June 15
This Fish & Fish Habitat Inventory Methods (FFHIM) course is delivered in Whistler by Vancouver Island University’s Natural Resources Extension Program, it is an intensive, ‘hands-on’ five-day practical review of standard North American fish and fish habitat inventory and assessment methods. This applied program is largely field-based, where course participants will learn how to conduct comprehensive and quantitative fish and fish habitat inventory and assessment methods.
Upon successful completion, participants will be fully-qualified and able to conduct standard North American fish and fish habitat inventory and assessment procedures, including:
- Manage an electrical field in an electrofishing operation
- Operate an electrofishing unit to reduce potential injuries to crew, animals and the environment
- Maximize electrofishing results through effective field strategy
- Conduct a safe and effective electrofishing field session
- Operate standard fish habitat and fish capture field equipment
- Conduct standard fish habitat assessment measurement procedures
- Identify and quantify fish habitat features and fish habitat requirements
- Recognize fish habitat(s) use by fish species and life stage
- Quantify fish habitat for a given fish species and life stage
- Conduct standard fish habitat assessment data collection
- Operate standard fish inventory equipment
- Conduct quantitative fish inventory procedures (Catch-per-unit-of-effort, multi-pass removal, etc.)
- Calculate fish population estimates using standard procedures
- Conduct field hydrology procedures including flow metering
- Identify and quantify fish habitat disturbance indicators
Class vs Field
(40 hours) Class: 1.5 days; Field: 3.5 days
No perquisites exist for the five-day FFHIM course.
- Classroom supplies (includes clipboard, rulers, pen, paper, calculator),
- Appropriate field gear, including chest waders and appropriate field wear.
Fee: $1,250Register More information Book accommodation