Essentials of Marketing (MKTG 1102)
April 29 @ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm PDT
An event every week that begins at 5:00pm on Monday and Wednesday, repeating until June 24, 2020
March 26 Update: This course will run as scheduled but will move to an online format due to the recommendations in place to contain the COVID-19 pandemic.
This Essentials of Marketing course is an introduction to the fundamentals of marketing. In addition to the “four Ps” of marketing—product, price, place, and promotion—students will be introduced to how marketers create customer-driven marketing strategies based on their research and understanding of the marketing environment and customers. Students will develop a marketing plan and integrated marketing communications (IMC) plan based on a case study, which will be assessed on students’ application of marketing terminology and processes and in the professionalism of their work. Additionally, students will complete assignments, quizzes, and exams.
- Develop effective public speaking skills by delivering oral presentations (individual and team) to audiences of diverse sizes.
- Discuss how marketing creates value for customers in order to capture value from customers in return.
- Describe marketing strategies and how marketers measure and manage the return on marketing.
- Develop a SWOT analysis and competitive analysis.
- Select suitable primary and secondary market research approaches.
- Differentiate between consumer and business markets and their buying processes.
- Conduct market segmentation, target market selection, and product positioning.
- Describe the decisions marketers make throughout the product lifecycle for their products and services.
- Outline how marketers build and manage brands to create brand equity.
- Select product and channel strategies to create value, and pricing strategies to capture value in return.
- Evaluate elements of the promotion mix (advertising, public relations, personal selling, sales promotion, direct, online, social media, and mobile).
- Develop promotion budgets, messages, and strategic media choices for an integrated marketing communications plan.
Financial AssistanceEmployers can apply for the B.C. Employer Training Grant which provides up to 60% e.g. $300 for a $500 course, for employers to support skills training via the federal Workforce Development Agreement (WDA) scheme.
The Whistler Community Foundation (WCF) has generously provided bursaries for local residents who quality and wish to participate in the courses listed above. Bursaries of $300-500 from the WCF are administered by Whistler Community Services Society, community members who need financial assistance with fees should request an application form from a WCSS Outreach Worker. The number of bursaries are limited and are issued on a ‘first come, first served’ basis.
Important notes to read before you register:
- Due to the condensed nature of this course, students must attend the first day of class. Failure to do so may result in failure of the course.
- Course is being hosted by the Whistler Learning Centre in Whistler.
- Please contact Sonia Dhaliwal with questions.
- Pre-reading will be assigned 1 week prior to start date.
- Courses are subject to minimum enrollment. If courses are cancelled, a refund will be issued automatically within 4 weeks.
- Student withdrawals are subject to BCIT refund policy.
- When you click to register you will be taken to the BCIT website, select the Spring/Summer 2020 tab, the Whistler courses have WHIST as the location.
- You will be required to submit your BCIT student number during registration. If you do not have a BCIT student number (begins with an A) instructions on how to create one are found below.
- Visit: https://secure.bcit.ca/sis/reg/
- Under the title ‘New to BCIT?’ click on button: Create BCIT ID
- Complete the form and submit
- You will receive your BCIT ID, password, student email address, and access to the BCIT portal. Be sure to save this information in a safe place for communication during your course. You will be asked to submit your BCIT ID when you pay for courses.