- This course has passed.
Introduction to Business Data Analytics with MS Excel 2016 for Windows (BSYS 2051)
May 20 @ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm PDT
An event every week that begins at 5:00pm on Wednesday and Friday, repeating until June 24, 2020
March 26 update: This course will not run in spring 2020 as planned. Students who have registered for this course will be contacted about refunds or alternative course options.
Every enterprise requires business analytics and decision support systems (DSS) in order to develop a competitive advantage. This is an introductory course using MS Excel for Windows, the foundational data analysis tool, to build on the skills and concepts covered in basic computer application courses. This course covers advanced Excel formulas, concepts, and applications using larger and more professional worksheets and focusses on the data modeling approach using Excel vs. the calculator approach. Topics include if-then modeling, built-in functions, charts, transferring data across applications, and using the built-in tools such as PivotTables, Sparklines, Slicers, and PowerPivots.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Use correct data modeling terminology.
- Describe the components of functional spreadsheet applications.
- Create simple financial models.
- Solve financial/business problems using appropriate functions.
- Organize data lists using filters and PivotTables.
- Summarize data using statistical functions.
- Employ built-in tools in Excel 2016.
- Analyze business data using analytics.
Dates & Time: 6 weeks, Weds/Fri: May 15 – June 24, 5-8pm
Location: Tamwood International College, 301-4204 Village Square, Whistler, BC V8E 1H5
This course is offered as a part of these related programs
Need advice about the right course for you? Contact local Whistler based BCIT Program Analyst: Sonia Dhaliwal
Register: Online here. Registration closes 2 weeks prior to the start of class.
* International fee differentials may apply to non-domestic students. Sea to Sky residents with questions please contact Sonia Dhaliwal for more information. Note that some International Students may be eligible to pay domestic fees with specific considerations, examples include but are not limited to: Diplomatic/Official Visa status, Live-in Caregiver Work permit status, Refugee status etc. Please contact BCIT International at email@example.com for details of considerations.
March 18, 2020 update: Due to the current social distancing recommendations in place to contain the COVID-19 pandemic there is a possibility that Whistler based BCIT classes will be postponed, cancelled, or start online. Students who have enroled will be notified 2 weeks before their start date about the delivery status of their course.
Important notes to read before you register:
- Due to the condensed nature of this course, students must attend the first day of class. Failure to do so may result in failure of the course.
- Course is being hosted by the Whistler Learning Centre in Whistler.
- Please contact Sonia Dhaliwal with questions.
- Pre-reading will be assigned 1 week prior to start date.
- Courses are subject to minimum enrollment. If courses are cancelled, a refund will be issued automatically within 4 weeks.
- Student withdrawals are subject to BCIT refund policy.
- You will be required to submit your BCIT student number during registration. If you do not have a BCIT student number (begins with an A) instructions on how to create one are found below.
Create your BCIT Student ID
- Visit: https://secure.bcit.ca/sis/reg/
- Under the title ‘New to BCIT?’ click on button: Create BCIT ID
- Complete the form and submit
- You will receive your BCIT ID, password, student email address, and access to the BCIT portal. Be sure to save this information in a safe place for communication during your course. You will be asked to submit your BCIT ID when you pay for courses.