The Whistler Learning Centre is proud to partner with BCIT to bring accredited business and leadership courses to Whistler and the Sea to Sky community. Courses provide 3-4 credits each and will run in the spring and fall each year.
Course features include:
- Face-to-face delivery in the centre of Whistler
- Earn credits that transfer into certificate, diploma and degree programs
For example: Associate Certificate Leadership or Diploma Business Administration
- Case studies geared towards the Whistler business environment.
- Guest speakers from industry
- One-on-one BCIT career and education counselling
Who are these courses suitable for?
- Managers who would like to gain accredited education to complement their work experience and network with peers
- Workers planning to move into management as their career develops
- High school graduates wanting to delve into Higher Education while remaining in their community
- Parents wanting to refresh their skills when returning to work after maternity/paternity leave
- Foreign workers wanting to study while playing or working in Whistler
The Value of Post Secondary Education – Testimonial
“I greatly benefited from studying while remaining in Whistler: it enabled me to continue working in Whistler’s non-profit sector where I could immediately apply the content I was learning in my daily practices. Each course required diligent engagement in discussion groups, further benefiting my studying experience as I learnt from other professionals in Canada’s non-profit sector. Studying in this format was integral to furthering my career in Whistler’s non-profit sector, and I’m proud to say I achieved my personal goal in obtaining a managerial role as a result.”
Mandy Rousseau – Manager of Marketing & Communications – Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre
Autumn 2019 course offerings:
September 9 – October 18 (registration open until the day before class)
ORGB 1105 – Organizational Behaviour (Evening Classes, Tues & Thurs)
OPMT 1187 – Project Management Essentials (Delivered over 2 weekends: Sept 20-22, Oct 4-6)
FMGT 1152 – Accounting for the Manager (Evening Classes, Mon & Weds. Note that due to low enrolment we are not currently able to deliver this course as scheduled, if you are interested in taking this course please contact the Whistler Learning Centre. Should we receive sufficient inquiries before September 2nd we will reinstate or reschedule the course)
October 21 – November 29:
MKTG 1352 – Digital Marketing (New dates! Delivered over 2 weekends: Nov 1-3, 15-17. Registration open until the day before class )
BUSA 3015 – Negotiation Skills (Tues/Thurs Evening Classes. Registration closed.)
OPMT 2515 – Project Communication & Team Management (Delivered over 2 weekends: Oct 18-20, Nov 22-24. Registration closed.)
- Two x 3 hr evenings per week over 6 weeks, 5-8pm, or
- Weekend option: Fri 3-7pm, Sat & Sun 9-5pm over 2 weekends
Courses are subject to minimum numbers. They will be confirmed 2 weeks before the start date or when minimum numbers are reached if this is earlier.
Location will be a central village classroom, confirmed when minimum numbers are met.
Employers should investigate the B.C. Employer Training Grant which provides up to 60% e.g. $300 for a $500 course, for employers to support skills training via the federal Workforce Development Agreement (WDA) scheme.
The Community Foundation of Whistler has provided bursaries for residents. Bursaries of $300-500 are administered by Whistler Community Services Society, community members who need financial assistance with fees should request an application form from a WCSS Outreach Worker.
Where possible the Whistler Learning Centre and BCIT try to use local instructors with industry experience, if you would like to express interest in teaching in Whistler please contact the Whistler Learning Centre.
Join our mailing list to be notified when registration and new course details are released.